Re: One source, two binary packages

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:
> Your debian/rules should build *both* packages.
>
> Here's the debian/rules from my GIMP packages. It should clear up
> your confusion. It uses debhelper judiciously; I'd recommend using
> debhelper to save your sanity. :)

Bob, don't fear the reaper.  dh_* is great, but if you wanna learn the
guts, do it by hand.  My jade source package produces 3 binary
packages from it, with not a whit of dh_* in sight.  Um, that's
actually an overly complex example, due to shlibs and dynamic version
hackage.  Hmm.  Maybe my 'mh' package is a better example.  Here's my
snippet:

	dpkg-gencontrol -isp -p$(pkg-doc) -P$(prefix-doc)
	dpkg --build $(prefix-doc) ..

	dpkg-gencontrol -isp -p$(pkg)
	dpkg --build $(prefix) ..

Manoj has some nice rules files to play around with too.  It's
possible there's some obscure syntax error in the control file or
substvars stuff.