Re: Emboss not migrating due to autopkgtest error on s390x

Hi Nilesh,

On 2024-04-16 17:03, Nilesh Patra wrote:
On 2024-04-16 15:04, Nilesh Patra wrote:
OTOH, does anyone actually use s390x for any med team package? If not, can we
consider to add this too along with other 32-bit archs to our policy?

Personally, I do not like the idea of deny-listing architectures in team
policy. But I am not an uploader of emboss, I merely care for it as a
dependency for oscar4.

Sure, but if there is no user for those packages at all on s390x, would that not
translate to:

a) extra maintenance

True.

b) more build cycles / load on porter machines / more cost so on?

I think this is a reasonable price to keep an architecture among release architectures.

I would suggest the following course of action for emboss:

1. Add a build-time test calling emboss executable(s). This way builds will
fail on s390x (and possibly other architectures) until #1069098 is fixed.

2. RM emboss for s390x without excluding s390x from build architectures.

This way emboss will be able to migrate and there will be no action needed
if/when #1069098 is fixed.

Makes sense to me.

I have added the build-time test and filed the needed RM bugs + removed python-biopython test-dependency on emboss on s390x.

Best,
Andrius