Re: Debian-Med policy proposal: 64-bit & little-endian only* for new packages

On Thursday, March 28, 2024 8:51:01 A.M. CDT Michael R. Crusoe wrote:

> Therefore I personally conclude that:
> Support Debian-Med packages for 32-bit and/or big-endian architectures is
> not a good use of our limited resources.

I've used that as a personal policy for years.

In my case, I restrict the architecture set ONLY when maintaining all
architectures becomes a burden.  So far it has happened only in one package
(ITK), and its downstream dependencies.

I am left with a question whether that is what you are proposing, or whether
you mean to preemptively restrict the architectures even when they are not
troublesome?  I would support the former but the latter position seems
unwarranted to me.

> Like all policy proposals, this is not meant to be a hard rule for all time.
> We can and should revisit the issue later!

Absolutely.  The working set of machines does change over time as you mention
yourself.  I remember doing neuroinformatics research coding on SGI IRIX
machines -- which will surely date me.  :-)

-Steve