Re: New version of muscle with changed options compared to previous versions [muscle_5.1-1_source.changes ACCEPTED into unstable]

Hi,

Am Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 05:45:49PM +0200 schrieb Andrius Merkys:
> I consider myself a muscle user, albeit mostly for teaching. Integration
> with biopython is quite important aspect to me as well.
>
> Although stability is a desired quality, algorithm improvement is
> probably more important. However, I did not compare the new muscle with
> its predecessors thus I cannot say which change outweighs which.

See the change in debian/tests/run-unit-test in this commit[1] which
requires renaming very basic command line options - I assume *all*
command line options have changed somehow.

> I do not think that maintaining two parallel muscle packages is really
> worth the work. Having muscle 5.1 and biopython supporting only muscle 3
> will cause confusion. As for failing tests of other packages, it is
> probably best to gently prod their upstreams to implement support for
> new muscle.

I confirm this is my plan but I wanted to hear opinions like yours.

> But all of this is just my opinion.

... which is perfectly welcome

     Andreas.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/muscle/-/commit/73cb0469278f0d074a866518d7edcd3850f23221