Re: ArrayExpressHTS ran into removed fastx-toolkit

On 2021, ജൂലൈ 27 4:28:53 PM IST, "Steffen Möller" <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:

>On 27.07.21 12:53, Nilesh Patra wrote:
>>

>> On Tue, 27 Jul, 2021, 4:16 pm Nilesh Patra, <nilesh@debian.org
>> <mailto:nilesh@debian.org>> wrote:
>>
>>         and its reverse dependencies
>>         like ArrayExpressHTS with it, then?
>>

>>     Not needed for reverse dependencies, if we push those to ofiicial
>>     bullseye-backports.
>>
>>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> Erm, correction here. Ofcourse, we will need to push in reverse-deps
>> of fastx-toolkit to fasttrack.
>>
>> But I think in such a case we might end up pushing relatively more
>> useful (chain of) packages in there.
>> But everything depends on if fastx-toolkit is absolutely impossible to
>> have in testing.
>> We do have several softwares in the archive where the upstream is
>> dead. Unless fastx-toolkit is completely not suited for release, we
>> could think about maintaining it ourselves
>
>And in my mind, keeping such older software afloat is part of the
>service that Debian provides to the community. So, let's hope for a path
>back into testing.

If the bug is fixed, it can get back into testing. If upstream is dead, how can you support in fast track ? Packages in fast track are still supported by upstream, they just don't support it long enough to cover a stable release cycle. For example, gitlab provides security support for 3 months only for a release, after that you need to upgrade to next feature release.