Re: apache arrow anyone?

Hi Steffen,

Steffen Möller, on 2021-08-22:
> Apache Arrow https://arrow.apache.org/faq/ knows how to efficiently
> handle large tabular data. And, while not in our distribution, it blocks
> some workflows for Debian Med. Arrow comes with interfaces to all the
> prominent languages, for the Med-workflows it is typically the Python
> interface pyarrow that is needed.
>
> https://arrow.apache.org/install/ presents a repository for Debian with
> a binary distribution on https://apache.jfrog.io/artifactory/arrow. Now,
> ideally, Apache would have contributed to Debian directly instead of
> providing their own repository. Maybe the right way to approach this
> would be to team up with the Apache folks. I just do not see any means
> to us just go and use their binary in the meantime since anything
> depending on it would not be buildable/testable.
>
> I am not using Arrow myself, but I presume just like me you all know
> some project that should be using it :)

Thank you for the prospective!  I see Sasha filed an RFP some
time ago [1], so there is definitely interest in Apache Arrow.
I don't know whether there is a packaging effort at the moment,
but if there is, I haven't found it by doing a research on
Salsa.

[1]: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=970021

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <emollier@emlwks999.eu>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da