Re: Pytest-ordering - keeps failing in cowbuilder

On 19.08.21 16:56, Nilesh Patra wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug, 2021, 8:12 pm Steffen Möller, <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:

On 19.08.21 15:37, Nilesh Patra wrote:

> On 8/19/21 5:52 PM, Steffen Möller wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> This is another small dependency nagging me:
>> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/packages/pytest-ordering
>>
>> pytest-3 does not find the local module when runnig cowbuilder, but it
>> is just fine with gbp or dpkg-buildpackage. Does this ring any bell for you?
> FWIW,
>
> [1]: https://github.com/ftobia/pytest-ordering/issues/66
> [2]: https://github.com/ftobia/pytest-ordering/issues/32
> [3]: https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest-order

Thank you for finding this. I checked out
https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest-order and .. after some toying
around ... came to the conclusion that this needs to be a separate
package since it is not compatible.

On a sidenote - I think about three Python packages were accepted into
main this day, all created or sponsored by you. Many thanks! This is
also what triggered me in my attempt to address pytest-ordering :)

So, for the moment I think we should go for two packages -
pytest-ordering and pytest-order. But correct me if I am wrong.

tl;dr: Ask upstream and do not package both

Both serve the same purpose, it doesn't make sense to package both.
You should rather ask upstream to start using a dependency that is maintained instead.

Pushing things to the archive that are unmaintained increases workload. pytest-ordering is broken ATM, tests fail and those failures are legit. There are some PRs that should be merged, but that contains a lot of extra work for us as downstream if we patch a lot of code. We have limited time/energy ofcourse, right?

So, you are suggesting to shift the efforts towards changing the code that currently uses pytest-ordering. Towards maintenance I think that this end-of-the-line thingy is easier since it will not be updated and I do not need to change anything upstream, I must admit. Also, it is build-time only and mostly of cosmetic value since the tests do all need to pass, anyway. Nothing security-sensitive, I mean.

I just checked on conda - they have both, with ordering seeing a few (but not many) more downloads. My immediate reaction is that my time-slot for this has ended and I should do something else, i.e. neither package for now :) But Debian should have both, too, at least for this release.

Best,
Steffen