About gatk -- git-lfs and dependencies to be packaged

Hi everyone,

Recently there has been quite a lot of movement around the packaging of gatk:

- I listed the dependencies to be packaged in our common spreadsheet, in the Java sheet, on lines 61 to 78. I think some of them should reveal optional, but I also see at some point we will be blocked by the need for Scala 2.12, whereas we only have 2.11 in Debian. This is a blocker we have already met on other packages;

- Nilesh and Yadd could find a new formulation for debian/watch which seems to enable us to use the git-lfs features to get the whole source tarball:

cat debian/watch

version=4
     opts="mode=git, gitmode=full, pgpmode=none" \
     https://github.com/broadinstitute/gatk.git \
     refs/tags/v?([\d\.]+) debian

Yet I gave it a try and the whole source is approx. 9.5 GB large and the (not repacked) orig tarball is 3.7 GB large. Thus we should do some work to strip a lot of big files, which I think would amount to deactivating some tests.

- Steffen and I looked at the dependencies list I discussed above and we wondered if getting gatk packaged now was worth the effort... In any case, the Scala issue should be fixed, maybe we should have a discussion with the Scala team to see how we could stop being stuck with our old Debian-packaged Scala.

Best,

--
Pierre