Meta: We should think more about the Windows Subsystem for Linux

Hello,

What can I say, you hear stories about WSL being fun to work with. Still
deprived of my Mac (VDH002 error), I got myself a nicely refurbished
X230 on ebay that happened to have Win10 already on it. In short: I
installed Debian as an app. And it was (mostly) as simple as that.
Transition from buster to bullseye was fine,  google fixed one little
hickup that I would not have had with WSL2. You have immediate access to
all files on Windows. And all of Debian Med with it.

Where I see this to be particularly useful is when you have Windows
machines that generate various sorts of data that you then want
post-processed in some way. And, ahem, it is one less reason to use
conda on Windows. Also, the academic institution feeding me has Windows
in its student compute labs - maybe WSL would be a possibility to sneak in.

Anyway, there is something. And yes, we are too quiet about it, even if
it feels much like MS is embracing us again, but it is better than what
we have. And I wish we would have the same for the mac. Well, we do, it
is called conda/brew/guix, but I mean without a recompilation. Once we
have identified a series of core workflows that Debian Med supports, I
suggest to have these tested in routine also with WSL.

Best,
Steffen