Re: Introduction

Hi Shruti,

Shruti Sridhar, on 2021-04-11 12:42:32 +0530:
> My name is Shruti Sridhar and I’m currently a senior at BITS Pilani Goa,
> India studying Biological Sciences and Chemical Engineering. I am reaching
> out in regards to the Debian Med project in this year’s Google Summer of
> Code for Quality Assurance and Continuous Integration for Bioinformatics
> Applications.
>
> My major focus area (including my thesis topic during fall) is
> translational research. This area is extremely fast paced with new
> computational tools and workflows being introduced at a rapid speed. This
> is the reason the project with Debian Med resonates with me. It allows me
> to write relevant autopkgtests for a vast array of packages which is guided
> through the intersection of both my degrees and at the same time gives me
> exposure to the type of computational problems that exist and methods of
> approaching them.
>
> I started contributing to Debian Med in August last year, and since then I
> have written tests for 8 packages. Lately, I have been working on the bugs
> filed as GSOC’21 applications tasks and have managed to close four of them.
>
> I have shared a draft of my proposal through the GSoC portal, and I would
> kindly request the mentors to take a look and provide feedback so I can
> make any changes if required.

I'm afraid I'm not myself at ease with the gsoc administrivia.
However, I wanted to thank you for the test suites!  These are
not only useful for the package being tested per se, but also
when library dependencies are upgraded.  This allows us to
ascertain everything went well with the newer packages versions,
or to pinpoint breaking changes in newer libraries and inform
upstream of the evolution.  Last but not least, these packages
benefit from accelerated transition to Debian Testing during
normal development cycle, and can still migrate automatically
even during the current hard freeze, priod Debian stabilisation,
for the upcoming release.

It's really great to have someone from the field knowing how
these applications are bound together, and capable of producing
relevant test suite covering typical bioinformatics use cases!

> Looking forward to working with Debian Med!

Thanks again for your great work you already done!
Welcome on board!

Have a nice day,  :)
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da