Re: Assistance with application task for "Quality assurance for biological and medical applications inside Debian"

Dear Shafeen,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 05:19:48AM +0000, Mohammed Rahman wrote:
> > There is no formal application for the Debian Med team.  You definitely
> > should subscribe our mailing list[1] and if you want to contribute code
> > you should create a login on salsa[2] and ask for membership in
> > med-team.
>
> Thank you for the prompt response and for forwarding my initial email to the
> correct spot!

Yes, you did. ;-)

> I seem to be subscribed to the mailing list, and hopefully this
> message ends up in the right spot as well.

BTW, you can sent to Debian lists without beeing subscribed.

> I’ve also gone ahead with creating
> an account on salsa and requesting membership within the med-team group.

Hmmm, I did not received any membership request.  But I added user
shafeenr to the team.  BTW, your mail user agent claims your name is
Mohammed - I hope I will not wrongly spell your name in the beginning of
some mail due to this. ;-)

> > But you can contribute in several ways to the Debian Med team in case
> > you might realise that this kind of tasks is not feasible for you.
>
> I do agree it does seem like a daunting task for someone with little to no
> bioinformatics background such as myself. I’ll continue and see if I have
> what it takes to properly contribute regarding this task with the tests,
> however I am very open to any suggestions of other ways to
> contribute to the Debian Med team over the summer if there happens
> to be any.

If you are interested in packaging something new you might probably want
to look in my packaging workshop[3] once the video is online (and only
than - the slides are *intentionally* not very helpful since I'm doing
the packaging at request and the run of the workshop develops out of the
software that was requested).

You can also learn packaging in a Mentoring of the Month project[4].  In
case you are informed about packaging you can also try to fix some bugs
against packages of the Debian Med team[5]

> Thank you,
> Shafeen

Hope this helps

      Andreas.