Re: [Meme-suite] Free software license for MEME?

Hi Charles,

thanks a lot for your quick response which motivates me to possibly
trigger a new "period of consideration" ;-)

The Debian Med project is an effort inside Debian to package Free
Software in the field of bioinformatics and medicine for official Debian
for the profit of users in this field that are running Debian or any of
its derivatives like Ubuntu, Mint, BioLinux or others.  In the nearly 20
years of existence of the Debian Med project we gathered lots of
positive responses of users.

We experienced an amazing response specifically since the COVID-19
crisis started.  It becomes pretty clear to many users and upstreams
that now is the time to stay together and provide the knowledge of code
freely to everybody without any restrictions.  (I had a talk about this
amazing success and support recently at FOSSASIA summit[1] - recording
of the 25min video is to be expected soon.)

We have quite some record[2] in our team to discuss with upstreams
successfully to release their code under a DFSG free license.  There are
several good reasons for you to consider this since Debian has quite
some infrastructure for continuous integration, is caring for
portability to a wide range of hardware architectures (arm64 comes to
mind once Apple will switch to this architecture but lots of others as
well) and we are usually pretty quick in adapting code to recent
compilers (I did a quick check yesterday and realised some issues of
MEME with gcc-10 but my interest to dive into this is reduced if we
can not publish a Debian package of MEME anyway).  All this is backed
up and documented by a bug tracking system.  If patches are provided
we'll keep you updated about this.

You might like to weight your advantages of this against the advantages
you see in your team to keep the code under the current license.

I also like to point you to some interesting reading[3] of the upsteam
author of kallisto who had changed his mind about licensing of his code.

We would be really happy if you would consider involving us in your
next disussion period about licensing MEME. ;-)

Kind regards and thanks again for your quick response

    Andreas.

[1] https://eventyay.com/e/fa96ae2c/session/6730
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/SoftwareLiberation
[3] https://liorpachter.wordpress.com/2017/08/03/i-was-wrong-part-2/