Re: Should we offer Debian Med workflow-containers?

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021, Steffen Möller wrote:

> Hello,

> Our HPC environment does not offer Docker, but Singularity
> (https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0177459)
> is supported. I thought I should give it a shot. Is anybody using this
> already on this list?

FWIW, we have been early adopters and promoters of singularity (largely
within neuroimaging field), using it "daily".

- using https://singularity-hub.org/ as a public builder/archive for
  some images

- keeping all images under VCS using datalad (git-annex), with help of
  https://github.com/datalad/datalad-container

- to facilitate archival, and reproducible execution (only recently
  singularity came up with -e) established
  https://github.com/ReproNim/containers/ which is a collection of
  singularity images for neuroimaging + a helper
  https://github.com/ReproNim/containers/blob/master/scripts/singularity_cmd
  to ensure absent leakage of the outside env inside the containerized
  (without using -e) + where possible/needed (OSX) execute it via docker
  (there are some gotchas to resolve with some containers but generally
  should work)

May be would be of some help/information

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org