Re: [RFR] qcumber 2.3.0-2 and piuparts issues

Hi Nilesh,

Nilesh Patra, on 2021-01-12 23:39:20 +0530:
> However, any idea as to why the corresponding salsa CI on piuparts fails?
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/qcumber/-/jobs/1332459

This issue appears in the upgrade test from previous installed
qcumber version.  It is based on upgrading from the 2.3.0-1,
which has the different and faulty /etc/qcumber/config.txt file.
Dpkg detects this difference upon upgrade and requests the user
for input, which fails the test.  I think this is a good clue to
detect whether NEWS items are required to document changes in
configuration, but shouldn't be blocking, since configuration
items in lots of packages may evolve from time to time.

Trying to recognize the faulty config file and modify it, if not
done right, I could potentially alter local changes, something
forbidden by the policy[1].  What's what I wanted to avoid, but
prepared in a preinst script just in case[2]; note that this one
did not fail the piuparts Salsa CI test[3].

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-files.html#behavior
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/qcumber/-/blob/qcumber-2.3.0-1-preinst/debian/preinst
[3] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/qcumber/-/jobs/1332470

This 2.3.0-1 never made it into Testing, so I think this issue
shouldn't impede upgrade paths from Buster or Testing.  Indeed,
users of Unstable may have to examine the situation on upgrade.

In any case, Thanks for asking!  :)
In hope this clarifies things,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da