Re: kmc update and options to move forward

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Tille, on 2020-12-09 10:34:03 +0100:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 10:49:21PM +0100, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > I recently uploaded kmc 2.3+dfsg-10 to address #954270.  I'm not
> > very satisfied with my patch however, as it is a mere cap of the
> > default threading value, while waiting for a cleaner fix, which
> > exists and it is kind of frustrating.  :(
>
> Thanks for your continuous work on this package which is very welcome.

Thanks as well for your huge mentoring efforts, and your
thoughts on the topic.  :)

> > [1] https://github.com/refresh-bio/KMC/releases
> > [2] https://github.com/refresh-bio/KMC/issues/82
> >
> > The current kmc 2.3 benefits from wide architecture support, but
> > kmc 3.1.1 comes with highly optimized use of intrinsics, and CPU
> > extensions runtime detection.  This makes it very fast on recent
> > x86_64, but unsuitable on any other architecture, as is.
>
> Given that our main target architecture is x86_64 and moreover that we
> should probably always gain for latest upstream versions if there is no
> good reason to stick to something older I think we should concentrate
> on kmc 3.x.

I think I'll want to get back to kmc with a fresher outlook, so
will probably not touch it in the coming days.  In the meantime
it is open for work if someone feels up to it.  Just updating to
the newer upstream version has been routine, modulo a couple of
patches to freshen though.  Most of the work would be either
SIMDe integration, or request for removals on unsupported
architectures.  Be mindful that iva and shovill are depending on
kmc, so that would affect their installability on non x86_64
architectures.

> > I thought about integrating SIMDe, but for the moment, I failed
> > at it.  I'm not entirely certain SIMDe will deal well with the
> > existing runtime detection within the code either.  Also, I'm
> > not very good at C++ (I learned C first unfortunately), so maybe
> > I just missed my point when trying to integrate SIMDe.  If
> > someone else is more at ease with SIMDe integration, maybe kmc
> > 3.1.1 would be up to multiple architectures support that way ?
>
> Any SIMDe volunteer is really welcome.  However, if it turns out
> to be too complex I think its worth considering to upload the
> unchanged upstream code first and enhance it with SIMDe later.

Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
Fingerprint:  8f91 b227 c7d6 f2b1 948c  8236 793c f67e 8f0d 11da