Re: [RFS] Libnewuoa

Hi Maarten,

On 2020-12-02 21:42, Maarten L. Hekkelman wrote:

> package is at https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/libnewuoa
>
> now, let's see what I will learn this time... ;-)

I noticed there are patches for CMakeLists.txt and pkg-config. It would
be nice to forward them to the upstream and discuss the changes with
them, maybe they will incorporate them. At least pc.patch might be
interesting for the upstream, as this would benefit also non-Debian
users of newuoa.

In configure.patch you are introducing the SOVERSION of the shared
library. From my experience, this is generally frowned upon in Debian,
as the choice and the control of SONAME/SOVERSION should lie with the
upstream. Whenever I have this issue I turn to the upstream for
solution. Adding SOVERSION via patch is kind of last resort, and I see
it is done at least in some packages, usually with a letter 'd' appended
to designate that this SOVERSION is controlled by Debian [1]. Maybe
other Debian Med members have better suggestions.

[1]
https://sources.debian.org/src/ros-geometric-shapes/0.7.0-3/debian/patches/0001-Add-Debian-specific-SOVERSION.patch/?hl=3#L3

Best,
Andrius