Should the pandas 1.x transition be forced (breaking python-biom-format and q2-demux/q2-types) or keep waiting?

pandas 1.0 has been in experimental for 6+ months, because it breaks some of its reverse dependencies:

In testing:
#950924 python-feather-format (has patch, no maintainer response to it)
#950931 q2templates (has upstream fix)
#950929 python-biom-format (no known solution)

Not in testing:
#950932 q2-types
#950933 q2-demux

This is blocking at least one proposed new package (pymatgen #962268), and making work when a new numpy/etc breaks the old pandas. On the other hand, this year feels like a bad time to break bioinformatics packages.

Ubuntu freezes this Thursday, but I suspect I may have left this too late for that.

Upstream have now released pandas 1.1, and I might go straight to that but first need to check whether it breaks anything more. (It isn't supposed to have API changes, but the new warnings may break fail-on-warning tests.)