Advice needed for python3 package (shasta)

Hello,

I am currently working on packaging Shasta[1], however I need some advice.

Shasta is written almost entirely in C++, however it uses pybind11 to
build into static and dynamical / shared libraries. However, based on
the documentation, the dynamic library is meant to be used within Python
(via `import shasta`).

Due to this being a Python-only library, I have therefore named the
respective package as python3-shasta, however I am not sure where to
install this. I can't simply rename shasta to libshasta (to include
under /usr/lib/${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH}) as this will introduce
complications when importing within Python. With this being Python only,
I decided to place this shared library under
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/shasta/ which means that this is already
Python's directory for modules.

Unfortunately, I cannot simply write `import shasta`, as this will not
fully include all functions of the library. Instead, I need to use `from
shasta import shasta` to be able to use the library as intended. I'd
prefer not to do this and would prefer to go with the author's
documented usage of using `import shasta` if the user wants to use the
library. How do I go about to create this? I was thinking about writing
setup.py with package_data listing the *.so but I'd rather a shorter and
more concrete solution.

Apologies for the lack of knowledge with this - I have not touched a
pybind11-generated *.so and have always relied on pybuild to move and
install the files accordingly.

Kind regards,
Shayan Doust

[1]: https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/shasta