Re: Salsa CI for all med-team packages?

Hi Andreas

On Tue, 22 Dec, 2020, 4:37 pm Andreas Tille, <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 12:04:13PM +0530, Nilesh Patra wrote:

> AFAIK, it could look for
> > .gitlab-ci.yml in the project root.
> >

> Yes, and to trigger build via salsa-ci.yml, someone needs to _manually_
> change the configuration file from .gitlab-ci.yml to d/salsa-ci.yml via the
> web interface. (With: Settings > CI/CD)
>
> That is the bottleneck here, and hence the question if there's a way to
> change the default config file to d/salsa-ci.yml across team packages?

This is most probably scriptable - but salsa admins explicitly said
(I think in DebConf20 talk or whereever else) that they are afraid
about this.

Both you and salsa admins are right about this.
As a matter of fact, salsa broke somewhere in 2019 when Utkarsh triggered salsa CI in 850 or so ruby packages - he also said this in a DC video.

And hence triggering team-wide rebuild instantaneously is far from being dangerous.

*However*, several teams like the go-team and js-team do have CI enabled across majority of their packages, and hence this probably can and should be done with coordinating with the salsa admins.

And if unfortunately we do not have enough infrastructure to enable team-wide CI, maybe enabling CI on a fraction of team packages can be good enough for a start?

In any case, we need to communicate with salsa admins..

What say?

Nilesh