Re: what if upstream does not have a version number?

Hi Maarten,

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 12:44:23PM +0100, Maarten L. Hekkelman wrote:
> Hi,
> found on github. The library, a C++ implementation of the NEWUOA algorithm,
> comes with a MIT license but has no tag or version number at github.
>
> I tried contacting the original author but suppose no answer comes in, is it
> acceptable to have a Debian package without an upstream version number? The
> watch file would then also remain empty?

Good you contacted upstream about this.  The watch file does not need to
be empty.  You can use git mode as its done here:

   https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/libsmithwaterman/-/blob/master/debian/watch

This package is not a specific one - its just my first one where I used
Git mode and I use it as an example.  I also love to repeat advertising for
our package_template which also covers this:

   https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/package_template/-/blob/master/debian/watch#L48

Hope this helps