Re: what if upstream does not have a version number?

Hi,

On 2020-11-30 13:44, Maarten L. Hekkelman wrote:
> I'm preparing another package and this one has a dependency on a library
> found on github. The library, a C++ implementation of the NEWUOA
> algorithm, comes with a MIT license but has no tag or version number at
> github.
>
> I tried contacting the original author but suppose no answer comes in,
> is it acceptable to have a Debian package without an upstream version
> number? The watch file would then also remain empty?

This is not uncommon, at least from my experience :) uscan knows how to
download source directly from git, and it puts date + git commit as a
version number. For example, you may give a look at the packaging of
libsignatures-java [1].

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/java-team/libsignatures-java

Best,
Andrius