Re: ORCA

On 03/11/2020 07:06, Andreas Tille wrote:
Hi Steffen,

On Tue, Nov 03, 2020 at 01:36:00AM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
I had a second look. Impressive. Seems like linuxbrew has evolved
enormously.

If you had a look could you please give a short summary?  For me it
sounds like another packaging system (like Conda).  Would you mind doing
some comparison?  Would anybody consider contacting ORCA developers and
invite them to join our list?  I'm wondering whether a docker container
featuring Debian Med packages might have advantages or disadvantages and
I'm keen on learning what those disadvantages might be.

Hi, Andreas.

OK, I'm willing to volunteer to contact them!

I've been using Docker a lot recently to run virus scanning pipelines and I have very mixed feelings about it. It's good if you understand how to use it, but presents huge opportunities to get it wrong and can be quite impenetrable if you don't know or have to motivation to use it properly. On balance, I think it is better to use Bioconda instead.

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk