Re: RFS: argh

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 04:43:05PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> Hello Shayan,
>
> On 21.09.20 14:33, Shayan Doust wrote:
> > Hello Steffen,
> >
> >> looks good to me, but the binary name should be libargh-dev, right?
> > It's just a singular header file, so I am following the same naming convention
> > as some of the other header-only library packages[1].
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Shayan Doust
> >
> > [1]: https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/tao-json/-/blob/master/debian/control
>
> Typically all the C/C++ libraries have "lib" as a prefix and the
> arch-independent header files get "-dev" as a suffix. If for header-only
> libraries there is an exception to this then I have made a few unnoticed
> mistakes with all these recent parallel computing libraries.

I admit I took over cimg-dev which is also an header only library and I
never felt a strong reason to change this but I never liked it.  The
rationale for the user is that it finally does not matter whether a
library is header only or not - its simply a library and the package
name should reflect this.

We even have libdevel packages that are not header only - the famous
zlib1g-dev is a bad example for this.

In short:  I agree with Steffen about the name libargh-dev - except
Shayan can point to some policy statement we both might have missed.

> |tao-json-examples is fine, but |||tao-json-dev under my hands indeed
> would have been named |||||libtao-json-dev.|||
>
> |||-> Andreas :)|||

ARGH! ;-)