Re: Anybody up for Python3 port of pbgenomicconsensus? [jmm@inutil.org: Re: pbgenomicconsensus: Python2 removal in sid/bullseye]

Hi Antoni,

On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 06:05:41AM +0000, Antoni Villalonga wrote:
> I've looked at that package some months ago (no progress done).
>
> At 'pbgenomicconsensus' d/changelog there is this TODO comment:
>   "TODO: unanimity to get python3-consensuscore2"
>
> At 'unanimity' d/changelog there is also a TODO comment claiming build problems
> with latest 'libpbcopper' version.
>
> As 'unanimity' 3.3.0 is already uploaded, 'python3-consensuscore2' can be
> built. I think 'python3-consensuscore2' may be uploaded that way.
>
> 'pbgenomicconsensus' should build fine after uploading 'python3-consensuscore2'.
>
> Of course 'unanimity' will be outdated after both package uploads.
>
> Hope it helps.
> Let me know if I've misunderstood some steps here.

I think you are perfectly correct here.  The thing is that unanimity is
not maintained upstream any more (and there is no public source code of
the successor - we can probably ask for it but currently this is the
situation).  My question was rather directed to users of these packages:
Are these packages important for your work, would it be helpful if we
invest time into this code while we will be alone with this since
upstream moved on, etc.