Le Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 06:13:45PM +0100, Chris Lamb a écrit :

> I share your dislike. Please file a separate wishlist bug for this — I
> would certainly entertain arguments to add logic to Lintian in order
> to spare this boilerplate within the Med team.

Hi all,

we already have https://bugs.debian.org/190753

A lot of time has passed, and most of the Policy delegates and Technical
Committee members have changed.  Maybe we can solve the problem by
finally relaxing the policy to allow us to do exactly what we are doing
now: ignoring the call to rename programs when the main outcome is to
break our users scripts, our upstreams documentations, and sometimes our
own packages.

"Reproducible research" is now mainstream and I feel so frustrated that
Debian is the only distribution in the world that insists on
deliberately becoming incompatible, by changing programs names
arbitrarly.

The goal of this policy was to make it easier to rewrite a program from
one language to another language while keeping a compatible interface.
We now have more than 15 years of experience on that matter with
scientific software and my conclusion is: it never happens.

Have a nice week-end

Charles

--
Charles Plessy