Re: Failure in autopkgtest for loki (Was: Working tests seem to exist for epcr)

Hi Andreas,

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 3:57 PM Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
Hi Pranav,

as a general note:  On Debian lists it is assumed that people (who do
not say otherwise) are subscribed to the list.  Thus in responses of
some mail the poster is usually not CCed.  In mutt exists the feature
"List-Reply" - no idea about your client.  I will follow this policy now
and just write to the list.  In our small Debian Med community its
kindly tolerated if you put the original poster in To/CC as well so you
if it might be an extra burden for you to edit To/CC just keep on
following your habit.  I'm just explaining why I'm not CCing you
personally any more (usually) and this is also a warning for you in case
you might once sent to other Debian lists on one hand people might
respond annoyed if they get e-mails twice and on the other hand you
might missing any response since you might not be subscribed to that
specific list (posting policy is that everybody can post).  In this case
I'd recommend reading the actual web archive.

Thanks for letting me know about this, I'll keep this in mind from now and reply only to the list.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 12:42:10PM +0530, Pranav Ballaney wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> Thanks for taking the time out to look into my work.

You are perfectly welcome.  On one hand I see this as my duty as a
(pontential) GSoC mentor.  On the other hand your level of contribution
shows that you are really dedicated to the task and I'd love to support
this.

Yes, it's my first time contributing to open source, so I'm really excited about the opportunities this work provides, both of open source contributions, as well as being part of something as prestigious as GSoC!

> On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 1:54 AM Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > How are you running the test at your site?
>
> I run the tests inside a chroot I made using sbuild-debian-developer-setup
> [1], and everything seems to be fine there as well.

In principle an sbuild setup - provided that it also has something like
a hook that is triggering the autopkgtest running in a chroot - should
lead to the same results.

I just use the
    autopkgtest .  -- schroot unstable-amd64-sbuild
command to run the tests. I'll try automating the process with pbuilder and see if I can replicate the issue.
It will make things easier for me as well, for tests I write in the future.

> From the output, it seems that loki is trying to create a file called
> loki.dat, but failing.
> Just off the top of my head, could it be an issue with permissions? Does
> the chroot allow programs to create files?

Well, the script is copying files to that location - so file creation
permissions should not be an issue, IMHO.  I also checked the code line
in the source file that is throwing the error which looks not really
suspicious to me.  But I only had a quick look.  Its pretty old code so
we need to expect things that are not working as expected these days.

> I will try building a pbuilder environment on my machine as well, and look
> into this at the earliest.

Just take your time.  In case you might be blocked it can help if you
look into another package.  Liubov had announced to possibly have a look
at the weekend and sometimes it helps to have an additional pair of
eyeballs.  Sorry, for my "feature" to always stumble about issue. ;-)

Yes, I have started working on tests for fastlink, but it might take longer this time because my mid-semester exams are starting, so I will be busy with academics the next two weeks.

> > Besides this issue you are perfectly on the right track and I repeat
> > that I'm absolutely happy about your performance right from the
> > beginning.
>
> Thank you so much!

Again, you are really welcome