Re: Working tests seem to exist for epcr

Hi Pranav,

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 10:30:58PM +0530, Pranav Ballaney wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> Thanks for looking into this and sending the guide about packages.
> I saw the CI page for epcr, and I have a follow-up query about the same - I
> had added autopkgtests to altree <https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/altree> the
> other day, and I've now added to loki
> <https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/loki> as well.

Very good!  I've looked into altree meanwhile and will follow up with
loki soon.

> So, can CI pages be built
> for these packages now? If yes, how?

The pages are build for every new upload of a Debian package.  The upload
can only be done by Debian Developers or Debian Maintainers.  Since you
do not have this status you need to ask for sponsoring - well, your mail
was kind of a request for sponsoring and so I did (at least for altree -
loki will follow as I said).

> Also, is it that only after the CI pages are built, should the respective
> bugs (#909708 <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=909708>
> and #909710 <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=909710>) be
> marked closed?

The bug is closed in the debian/changelog of the package.  Once the
package is uploaded the bug will be closed.  This closes statement was
actually missing in the epcr package - so that bug remained open.  I
would like you to check my commits.  One is the changelog entry which
closes the bug.  I would like you to do the following once you have
written an autopkgtest:

    dch --team "Add autopkgtest (Closes: #bugnumber)"

While you can perfectly edit debian/changelog with your favourite editor
this simple line will do everything with the correct syntax for you.

I have also noted that you moved the example data from package
altree-examples to the main altree package.  That's not a good idea
since it somehow bloats a binary arch package with binary all data which
are even not needed in normal installation of the package.  So I reverted
this change and moved the data back to altree-examples.

When doing so I realised that the test is failing due to compressed data
files.  Debhelper has the habit to compress everything in
/usr/share/doc/packagename that can sensibly be compressed and so its
doing with some of the data files.  Uncompressing these in the test
script helped here.

Finally I've added a debian/README.test which explains to the user how
the package can be tested on the local machine.  It would be nice if
you could drop such a file as well (you can find a template in our
packaging template[1].

> Or is it enough if the tests are working on my local
> machine, and can I close them right away?

As I explained, its not enough.  But your work was good enough to enable
me to upload a package with autopkgtest after some polishing which is
some routine work for me.  In other words:

   ** Congratulations!  You have fixed your first bug and have your **
   ** first package inside Debian!  That's great!                   **

> Thanks a lot for your help.

You are perfectly welcome and I'm really happy about your work.  That
was quite quick learning and a really good job for a beginner.  Keep
on the good work

    Andreas.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/package_template/blob/master/debian/README.test