Re: [MoM] Expressing interest in the being a mentee

Hi Vani,

On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 07:12:11AM +0000, vani singh wrote:
> Sorry about the delayed response.  ...
> Thank you so much for you’re reply !

You are welcome.  As you can see I've responding to the mailing list
(after removing potentially private reasons).  Please always stick
to the list which is important also for other mentees.

> > might like to have a look into it anyway.  I have somehow marked
> >   https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio#cellprofiler
> > as some not that hard project.  The packaging in Git[2] is **extremely**
> > outdated so its somehow some "packaging" from scratch work - so you need
> > to touch every single packaging file anyway and learn by enhancing.
>
> Thank so much for this suggestion, I spent some time going over the list of packages and but had a hard time figuring out which one I could work on and your suggestion was really helpful. I see that the package is in python so should help me pick up things quicker !!

I hope you are interested in this software.

> > [2] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/cellprofiler
>
> Otherwise as well I am sure there is a lot of work that I could do and learn from in this package.I would love to work on the cell profiler.

OK.

> I have just gone through the package for now and will clone into and and try to set it up on my system. I see it on GitHub as well with quite a few tagged issues. I will go through them as well. Would it be ok if I could ask you any doubts I might have? Otherwise what would be a good starting strategy ?

Please start with registering on salsa.debian.org and asking for
membership of med-team.  This will grant you commit permissions.

Once you have a clone I would start editing the file debian/watch.

As you can find on the MoM page[1] there is a template for each
file so also for debian/watch files.  Please adjust the old existing
cellprofile watch file to the new location and try

    uscan --verbose --report

to see if this is working.  Please come back here on the mailing list if
you face any issue with the suggested procedure (as minor this issue
might seem to you - we can easily help).

PS: And please put your name and the package cellprofiler at the end
    of the table of the MoM page.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM#Quickstart_with_Debian_Med_package_template