Re: [MoM] Expressing interest in the being a mentee

Hi once more,

On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 01:19:05PM +0200, merkys@debian.org wrote:
> Hi Vani!
>
> Glad to hear you're willing to contribute to Debian! Do you have a
> particular source package you'd like to package? I would happily help
> you (delays are possible)

Ah, I had also some more than a usual shorter than 24h delay.

> provided the package(s) fall under my sphere
> of knowledge in Debian :)

I also managed successful mentoring even beyond my sphere of knowledge
of the actual software.  So I think we can build a save backup to get
you started. :-)

> Best wishes,
> Andrius
>
> On 2019-11-25 19:14, vani singh wrote:
> > Hey!
> >
> > I am Vani, a recent graduate in Information Technology and Mathematics with a minor in Biology, I have recently begun contributing to a few open source projects in the field of cloud computing for Bioinfomatcs and made a small GSoC project [1] where i realised it’s immense potential and that I too can contribute to OpenSource. I stumbled upon the DebianMed page and was excited to know about the MoM program and would love to be considered to contribute to it, I have experience working with Python and C++ and am learning GO (though I would love to learn new languages) and have taken courses for Genetics/Epigenitics/Network-biology and college math courses.

Thanks for the introduction.  As Andrius just has asked:  Do you have
any specific software in mind that you are missing inside Debian?  We
have some packages just in Git where people in the past have spent some
effort into which did not ended up in a final package (for several
reasons - several of them were too complex for a beginners project.)  You
might like to have a look into it anyway.  I have somehow marked

   https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio#cellprofiler

as some not that hard project.  The packaging in Git[2] is **extremely**
outdated so its somehow some "packaging" from scratch work - so you need
to touch every single packaging file anyway and learn by enhancing.  The
project itself seems to be alive since its issuing new releases quite
regularly.  Please make up your mind whether this is interesting for you
or if you might find something more challenging.  For a successful MoM
project its the best if the student really *wants* to see that program
inside Debian.

> > I would love any guidance or help in this regard.

You are more than welcome.

> > Thank you in anticipation,

Thank you for your interest

      Andreas.