Re: FW: Bio linux download

On 24/04/2019 14:55, Timms-Wilson, Tracey wrote:
*From:*Shaun Allingham [mailto:S.Allingham@derby.ac.uk]
*Sent:* 24 April 2019 14:37
*To:* Timms-Wilson, Tracey <tmt@ceh.ac.uk>
*Subject:* Bio linux download

Hi, I am trying to download Biolinux on a USB stick but once i have finished the initial download the only option i get is to burn it onto a CD. Is there something i am missing?

Hi, Shaun.

Tracey forwarded your message to me and I've CC'ed my reply to the Bio-Linux mailing list in case anyone else has the same problem.

We've done a 'point' release of Bio-Linux 8.0.8 that you can download:

http://environmentalomics.org/bio-linux-8-0-8-2/

Please read the NERC/EOS documentation about how to create a USB-stick:

http://environmentalomics.org/bio-linux-installation/

Please note that Bio-Linux 8.0.7/8 are both based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, which will reach it's end of life this month (April 2019) so I do not recommend using Bio-Linux 8, which is no longer supported by NERC/EOS.

I recommend downloading Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 LTS and creating a bootable USB-stick from that, and use the USB-stick to install Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 permanently onto a hard disk (or an external USB disk):

https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/

Then, boot from the hard disk and install "med-bio" and "med-bio-dev" from the Debian-Med project onto the Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 instance:

  sudo -i
  apt update
  apt install med-bio med-bio-dev

[Note: There is a problem installing "metaphlan2" under Ubuntu 18.04]

Most of the packages in Bio-Linux 8 are now available in the Ubuntu repository thanks to the work of the Debian-Med team. Please post a message to the Debian-Med mailing list if you decide to try med-bio out.

I can provide you with a pre-release Bio-Linux 9-alpha 'live' USB-stick based on Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 + packages from "med-bio" if you send me a stamped addressed padded envelope to the address in my signature below.

HTH,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk