Bio-Linux 8 EOL

Hi,

Bio-Linux 8 will reach its EOL (End Of Life) in April 2019 when Ubuntu 14.04 LTS reaches its EOL and Bio-Linux 8 will no longer be supported.

Bio-Linux 9 is still a work in progress, but I recommend replacing any Bio-Linux 8 instances with a clean install of Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 LTS:

https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/

Please do NOT attempt to upgrade Bio-Linux 8 because many packages will be broken and the upgrade process will be error-prone. After installing Ubuntu-MATE 18.04 LTS, install the Debian-Med and x2go packages:

  sudo -i
  apt update
  apt install med-bio med-bio-dev
  apt install x2goserver

Also install these security packages:

  apt install fail2ban
  apt install rkhunter
  apt install chkrootkit

In due course, I will announce the Debian-Med "bio-linux" meta-packages:

  bio-linux-desktop
  bio-linux server

Please post messages about any problems with this upgrade and ideas about future development of Bio-Linux to the Debian-Med mailing list.

Thanks,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk