Re: Outreachy current

---- On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 11:21:58 +0000 Saira Hussain <saira.h0213@zoho.com> wrote ----

---- On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 10:42:55 +0000 Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote ----

Dear Saira,

Hi Andreas!

Hello again!

I am filling up my Outreachy application and there's a field where the timeline of the project should be discussed and specified with you :)

Could you give me a helping hand on that? I can do some preparation work if needed!

All the best
SH
On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 10:06:47AM +0000, Saira Hussain wrote:
> Is the best way to do everything for the internship (or general developing)
> using a VM so that it is containerised and safe?

In principle there is no reason to use a VM to develop Debian packages.
I'm personally running Debian on all machines I control. The only
reason for me to once setup a VM was to install Debian with kernel
freebds to check some bug that happened in the freebsd flavour of
Debian. In short: No, a VM is not the best way - its an appropriate
workaround if you have no easy access to a running Debian system.

> Plus currently I am running
> a different distro (ups I shouldn't mention that on a Debian mailing list!) :)

Ohoh, now you are banned from the list! ;-)

Actually I run for long time Debian but my last attempt crashed the dpkg system
so I decided to play around with a few other solutions. It was quite tricky to dual
boot though (especially with one attempt I did with FreeBSD) :)

I am always happy to have an extra machine running Debian though, that's probably
my plan for this!

Honestly, we are open for everybody. There were several people who are
running even non-free operating systems on their machines. Its usually
not very successful to ask for help on non-Debian systems here - but you
are free to run your hardware with whatever you like.

> Although asking about that I saw the Luibov's Vagrant which looks super awesome!

Please excuse my ignorance but what is Vagrant?

Oh, Vagrant is a very interesting "open-source software product for building and maintaining portable virtual software development environments, e.g. for VirtualBox, KVM, Hyper-V, Docker containers, VMware, and AWS". So it's kinda like a VM that you can preset and that's
what Luibov did on her repository to test the packages (I believe :)! correct me if wrong!)

There's more info here: https://www.vagrantup.com

> Thanks a lot for your help

You are welcome

Best