Re: Outreachy current

Dear Saira,

[Please always make sure you include the mailing list in your reply -
strictly speaking policy on Debian lists is to *only* reply to the
list, not to the poster.  I'm fine with getting your mails twice but
some people on other Debian lists might get annoyed. ;-)]

On Mon, Mar 18, 2019 at 11:11:11PM +0000, Saira Hussain wrote:
> >  dch "what was changed" ; git commit -a -m"what was changed"
>
> Sounds reasonable! Done that.

:-)

> The problem was that I missed the proper variable allocation. Fixed now! Hope this
> will pass the test.

Ahhh, I've seen your commits.  Just uploaded your fix (and left my
"Restrictions: allow-stderr" anyway since it does not really harm).
Thanks for double checking!

In general I admit I like your simple check-no-args test which was
sometimes a "last resort" if there was no other way for a sensible test
(like in graphical applications or so).  However, it does not harm to do
it in addition to the functionality test in run-unit-test.

> What's the best way to use autopkgtest locally to emulate the test? As I currently
> only treat them as  sh scripts and test manually.

I admit I do it that way most of the time. ;-)  I also added a pbuilder
hook for testing.  Pbuilder is a tool which builds Debian packages in a
minimalistic chroot environment and thus the test is done in a chroot
(but obviously did not fetched that last error - no idea why).

I once followed

   https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/Debci

(see paragraph "Configure your system to run autopkgtest using lxc")
but dealing with those lxc containers was not always easy and after I
had some trouble I stopped this again (lazy me :-().

I've put Liubov (last years outreachy student) in CC - may be she has
some additional hints.

> > BTW, may be its a nice introduction for you to watch two videos from
> > DebConf17 in Montreal:
>
> Thanks very interesting videos!

:-)