Re: Synergies when doing ports from Python2 to Python3

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 11:20:07PM +0100, Jun Aruga wrote:
> Thank you for sharing the situation.
> I am happy to help something to thrive our biology open ecosystem.

I admit I'd love to see a stronger cross-distro cooperation.

> I am Jun Aruga talked who communicated with you about bowtie2 and
> simde in Debian Med community in the past,
> and also had claimed for the simde deb packaging and gave up the simde
> deb packaging recently.

Please don't be shy to rise questions that might come up here.  I'd
happily support this work.

> Is there a way to list up all the deb packages that needs Python3
> ports (= currently depending on "python" deb package on master
> branch?) in all the packages of Debian Med team?

There is a general coordination page for the Python3 migration here:

    http://sandrotosi.me/debian/py2removal/index.html

The advantage is that you can see the number of dependencies which helps
to find sensible candidates to start (instead of diving through a tree
of dependencies).  If you simply do a string search for "Debian Med" you
can find the packages maintained by our team easily.

Alternatively you can check the Bug Tracking System page for all
packages maintained by the Debian Med team

   https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=debian-med-packaging%40lists.alioth.debian.org

The Python migration related bugs all have a "Python2" in the bug
description.  (Hey, that page was advertised in Thorsten's mail
about our advent bug squashing party[1].  Please don't say you
never visited

   http://debian-med.alteholz.de/advent-2019/

:-P  So you have four days left to contribute!  I made sure that at least
one bug per day was closed (two last days are not updated while writing
this mail).

> python deb package (= python 2.7)
> https://packages.debian.org/sid/python
>
> In Fedora Project, here is the command to list up all the RPM packages
> that needs Python3 ports on rawhide (= master branch).
> This command is checking the "built" RPM packages depending on
> "python" RPM (= python 2.7).
> Actually patched and not built RPM packages are also listed up by the command.
>
> ```
> $ dnf repoquery --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide --enablerepo
> rawhide-source --whatrequires python
> crun-0:0.10.6-1.fc32.src
> htop-0:2.2.0-6.fc31.src
> hyperscan-0:5.2.1-1.fc32.src
> libclc-0:0.2.0-16.git9f6204e.fc31.src
> libraqm-0:0.7.0-1.fc32.src
> maxima-0:5.43.0-1.fc32.src
> mozc-0:2.23.2815.102-8.fc31.src
> tarantool-0:2.1.2.54-2.fc31.src
> udis86-0:1.7.2-14.56ff6c8.fc31.src
> ```
>
> 1. all the deb packages depending on "python" deb package (= packages
> needing Python 3 ports) (= group A)
> 2. all the deb packages in Debian Med group (= group B)
> 3. all the deb packages needing Python3 ports (= group C) = group A & group B
>
> Can we listed up "3." automatically by script or something?
> Because checking each repository is hard.

Most probably you can query aot to find out this as well - but, that's
probably the code behind Sandor Tosi's web page (see link above).

> > know.  As usual you can find a human readable list of Debian Med
> > packages here:
> >
> >    https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio      (Biology)
> >    https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio-dev  (Biology development)
>
> Out of curiosity, what is the difference between Biology and Biology
> development task?

First are applications and second tools to develop applications.  Feel
free to create pull requests for enhanced descriptions in

    https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/med/blob/master/tasks/bio
    https://salsa.debian.org/blends-team/med/blob/master/tasks/bio-dev

any contribution that makes things more clear are really welcome.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2019/11/msg00085.html