Re: proteinortho does not find diamon(-aligner) executable

Hi Steffen,

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 12:33:26AM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am just updating proteinortho and found that its tests look for a
> series of binaries and executes the tests only if those binaries are in
> the PATH. The diamond-aligner is a build package, likely for the reason
> to be tested. The diamond-aligner's executable is also named
> diamond-aligner - and not found.

There was a package diamond inside Debian[1] and the name
/usr/bin/diamond was occupied (documented in README.Debian of diamond).
Since this was removed[2] the name is free again and we might consider
taking over this name again.

> Is this a bug of the diamond-aligner package to not offer some
> compatibility layer or of proteinortho to use a non-standard executable
> name? I'll team-upload proteinortho as it is now but something needs to
> be done.

If you suspect a bug why not filing one to make sure it will be found
later?  I do not consider it the best idea to upload a known to be
broken package.  You can contribute to our Advent bug squashing party
by filing a bug find a solution and close it.

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/diamond
[2] https://tracker.debian.org/news/1082936/removed-40515-5-from-unstable/