Re: including a CTMS/EDC system

Hi Rene,

sorry for the late reply.  Usually you can expect an answer in at least
24 hours but I was quite busy last week with nearly no access to my
computer.  In any case thanks for contacting this list.  I think Phoenix
CTMS is a very interesting target for Debian Med and we would be happy
to support it in main Debian.

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 01:17:49PM +0200, Rene Krenn wrote:
> We developed a large CTMS/EDC/patient registry system based on OpenJDK, Perl
> and Postgres.
> It was named "Phoenix CTMS" and is available under LGPL, see
> https://github.com/phoenixctms.
>
> The installation for regular debian is prepared meanwhile, see:
> https://github.com/phoenixctms/install-debian/blob/master/install.sh

I read a bit in the installer code.  We have to turn some apt-get
statements into Build-Depends and depends and it seems we also have to
write some pre-/postinstall and -remove scripts to implement the user
and database setup.  Its all not magic but complex and needs severe
testing.

> The idea is to package it for debian-med as a next step.
> If someone is interested and willing to contribute, pls let me know.

Since several years we are running the Mentoring of the Month[1].  This
effort is ideal to pair the knowledge of upstream (which we are
definitely lacking in the case of Phoenix CTMS) and our packaging
knowledge.  I'm pretty sure Phoenix CTMS will need more than only one
month work so please do not take that topic to literal.  We are simply
trying to lower the barrier for newcomers to enter the project and be
inviting for questions that a newcomer might consider "to simple" and to
reduce the shyness to ask.  Its about leading you kindly into the Debian
Med team giving you access to the repository and make you comfortable
with some packaging rules inside the team.

So if one team member of the Phoenix CTMS authors would like to join
the Debian Med team we will be happy to guide that effort, also by
contributing packaging code and explaining the packaging rules.

What do you think about this?

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM