Re: hyphy and test philosophy

Hi Saira,

On Fri, Jul 05, 2019 at 12:29:21PM +0100, Saira Hussain wrote:

> > As a rule of thumb:  Try to put yourself into the position of a user and
> > test what you want to be tested.  Having at least a few test is better
> > than no test at all.  Gaining for completeness might be a valuable goal
> > but its not always necessary.
> OK. That means that the build time tests and autopkgtests serve a different
> purpose right? I am always insecure if what I do is enough.

I try to rephrase:  The autopkgtest can be something completely
different than the build time test.  The latter might be helpful
to design an autopkgtest or be even identical - but this is not
required.

> > > I know that I've asked this before but the reason of repeating that question
> > > is that hyphy has loads of internal tests. They way they are run though is
> > > quite tricky for me to understand (on same cases) or some of them fail
> > > completely
> >
> > What tests are failing completely?  I've checked the build log
> >
> >     https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=hyphy&arch=amd64&ver=2.3.14%2Bdfsg-1&stamp=1537976360&raw=0
> >
> > which says
> >
> > [----------] Global test environment tear-down
> > [==========] 180 tests from 6 test cases ran. (25 ms total)
> > [  PASSED  ] 180 tests.
> >
> > Do you get some other results?
> >
> > > Could I use some of the more meaningful tests (or modify them) and use a
> > > couple of them for autopkgtest? (Instead of auto running a 100-test suit?)
> >
> > I've checked the override_dh_auto_test target in d/rules and it seems
> > its really a bit tricky to reproduce since the cmake process seems to
> > produce an own script.  If I were you I would try to run the build
> > process on the local machine (not in pbuilder) which leaves the build
> > dir behind which enables you to inspect HYPHYGTEST.
> >
> > If this is not enlightening feel free to follow your own gut feeling and
> > may be create a hand full of tests you consider sensible.
>
> Undestood. I am doing this currently. Got two different tests to work but I
> feel that is not enough and I need more. I am unsure about supporting the
> whole HYPHYGTEST so I may re-visit this on a later time!

Just push "something" for the moment and drop a note about options for
further enhancement.

> > In short:  May be the hint to HYPHYGTEST enables you to find out the
> > trick how the build time test suite is crafted.  However, since there is
> > no rule that autopkgtest should replicate the build time test feel free
> > to diverge from that test and craft your own instead.
> >
> > Hope this helps
> >
> It did thanks!

Good.