Re: Outreachy project

Dear Joyce,

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 11:08:13PM -0700, jyzhou15 wrote:
> > Please also make sure you add an entry in debian/changelog closing the
> > bug.  If there are other changes that are not yet uploaded feel free to
> > "take over" the changelog paragraph with your ID.  I'd love to give my
> > outreachy students to "own" that upload.
>
> Ah, thanks for pointing that out. No changes were made to the log
> other than the timestamp :)

Fine.  I need to admit that I'm a bit lazy about the time stamp.  Before
the final upload I usually do

    dch -r

which also bumps the time stamp.  I *personally* do not care much about
bumping it in each edit of the changelog (but it is fine if you do so and
probably there is a dch option (check `man dch` for this) which supports
this).

> > However, you might report this issue upstream (may be if you contact
> > about valid results) since it is relevant for users who are not
> > installing the software via Debian package.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by upstream or where I would report this -
> do you mean to the package author?

The author of the software itself.  In Debian slang "upstream" means the
author(s) of the software we are packaging.  Ideally the field

   Upstream-Contact

in debian/copyright would give a hint whom to contact - in this case it
is quite sparse and I actually withdraw my recommendation:  Upstream
seams to be inactive and just to ask them to fix their README / makefile
its probably a waste of time for you.  In actively developed software
for instance in some public Git repository with issue tracker it makes
sense to create an issue about this.  But in this case I'd simply leave
things as they are.  Users were able to cope with this for 10 years the
software has not changed.

> > Just tell me once you consider the test finished (I'd consider bug
> > #909711 fixed by your test - but may be you want to gain for more
> > and I want *you* to be happy with it) and I'll upload the package.
>
> I have added two tests for stdin now, and I think the tests are
> finished now, barring if a new bug snuck in. Thanks for the support.

You are welcome and thanks to you writing the test.  I've just uploaded
the package.  Congratulation to your first package upload into the
Debian pool!

> If all goes well, will check what I can do about some of the other
> missing tests as well as come up with a project plan - where do you
> suggest to check for project ideas, what is reasonable/most important
> to tackle do you think?

It is similar what I wrote to Saira (and where Liubov agreed upon): It
is hard to make a detailed "plan" for this task since it is basically a
set of single tasks and it is hard to predict how long one task will
last.  With some training it might be that you manage 2-3 tests per week
but when stumbling upon errors that might be uncovered by running a test
it might last longer.  Its simply a QA-work which is extremely valuable
but hard to plan.