Re: Outreachy project

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 1:07 AM Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 04:30:13PM -0700, jyzhou15 wrote:
> > "PS:"
> > I've committed an autopkgtest for clearcut
> > (https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/clearcut/blob/master/debian/tests/run-unit-test)
> > to master.
>
> Good.  Thanks a lot!  I see you understood the principle!
> (I've just added an interpreter line to the shell script.)
>
> Please also make sure you add an entry in debian/changelog closing the
> bug.  If there are other changes that are not yet uploaded feel free to
> "take over" the changelog paragraph with your ID.  I'd love to give my
> outreachy students to "own" that upload.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out. No changes were made to the log
other than the timestamp :)

> > I also noticed that the readme for clearcut is inaccurate (mentions a
> > "make install" but that target doesn't exist).
>
> Well spotted.  However, that part of the upstream README about
> installation is not relevant for Debian users anyway since if a user
> might read this on /usr/share/doc/clearcut/README.gz the software is
> actually installed.  Users are trained to understand to ignore
> installation instructions about software that was installed by the
> Debian package.
>
> However, you might report this issue upstream (may be if you contact
> about valid results) since it is relevant for users who are not
> installing the software via Debian package.

I'm not sure what you mean by upstream or where I would report this -
do you mean to the package author?

> Just tell me once you consider the test finished (I'd consider bug
> #909711 fixed by your test - but may be you want to gain for more
> and I want *you* to be happy with it) and I'll upload the package.

I have added two tests for stdin now, and I think the tests are
finished now, barring if a new bug snuck in. Thanks for the support.
If all goes well, will check what I can do about some of the other
missing tests as well as come up with a project plan - where do you
suggest to check for project ideas, what is reasonable/most important
to tackle do you think?

Best,
Joyce