Re: Third party code inside Ugene

Hi Yuliya,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 07:43:14AM +0700, Yuliya Algaer wrote:
> Thank you for your letter.

Thank you for your quick answer.

> We use custom flags to build sqlite. It is very important for us to keep
> these flags.

We are really keen on running each component as best as possible.  So it
would be very interesting, which actual flags you are using and why these
are important for UGENE.  It could be possible that this enhancement has
some positive effect also on other programs.  The code copy of sqlite3
you are shipping says:

#define SQLITE_VERSION        "3.7.11"
#define SQLITE_VERSION_NUMBER 3007011
#define SQLITE_SOURCE_ID      "2012-03-20 11:35:50 00bb9c9ce4f465e6ac321ced2a9d0062dc364669"

while Debian has

#define SQLITE_VERSION        "3.16.2"
#define SQLITE_VERSION_NUMBER 3016002
#define SQLITE_SOURCE_ID      "2017-01-06 16:32:41 a65a62893ca8319e89e48b8a38cf8a59c69a8209"

Chances are good that in five years development some progress has
happended with this library.  Moreover when inspecting the Debian
changelog I can see several security fixes with CVEs.  So if it is
just about custom flags of building the library we might be able
to discuss this with the maintainer of sqlite3.

I'm also wondering about zlib.  Are you also using custom flags for this
widely used library?  Ugene contains version 1.2.3, July 18th, 2005
which is not acceptable for our security team (the current zlib is
1.2.11 and contains fixes for several security relevant bugs with CVEs).

> If it is against of Debian rules I think it is OK to remove UGENE from the
> official Debian distribution.

UGENE is not part of the *official* Debian distribution anyway it is
only in an area called "non-free" - not because the code itself is
non-free but because of code copies (also of other software specifically
code liky phylip where you are shipping the code version with a non-free
license).  I'd volunteer to work on this but only if I see a chance to
use code that does not contain well known security issues.

> Thank you!
>
> Kind regards,

Thanks to you and thanks for your cooperation

      Andreas.