Re: mrtrix3 is "coming". Howto tests?

On Wed, Sep 05, 2018 at 04:12:55PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> > I know there is some way to create pristine-tar from plain Git packaging.
> > I'd be really happy if you would consider this since it enables other
> > team members to rebuild the package with the workflow described in team
> > policy.
>
> I do not think pristine-tar would work with git submodules, thus
> requiring a delta of the size of the testing/data .

Pristine-tar has nothing to do with the structure of the git repository.
It just stores metainformation of the orig.tar.gz you produced in a
separate branch to enable gbp recreating a byte-identical tarball as you
used to upload.

I'm quoting the **former** README.source of htslib from the time when it
was following the Git repository.  Please mind item 4 for the creation
of the pristine-tar branch.

Since this Git repository does not follow the usual Debian Med
workflow it is documented here, how the package can be updated:

  1. in the master branch, pull the upstream master branch and its tags.

       git checkout master
       git pull https://github.com/samtools/htslib --tags

     Remark: If this pull fails with a lot of stuff to merge you might
     have some ~/.gitconfig that breaks the pull above.  Please try to
     deactivate it for the moment.

  2. Merge the tag in the debian/unstable branch

       git checkout debian/unstable ; git merge <version>

  3. download the upstream tarball

       uscan --force-download

  4. Register the upstream tarball in the pristine-tar branch directly with
     the pristine-tar command directly (stay in master branch when doing this)

       pristine-tar commit ../htslib_<version>.orig.tar.gz <version>

     Remark by Andreas Tille: To make this work you need to create a branch
     upstream at least in your local clone.

  5. Update the packaging files, build with gbp - debian-branch and
     upstream-branch are properly set in debian/gbp.conf

According to Charles Plessy this workflow has the advantage to propose
upstream via pull requests on GitHub.  The Debian Med policy currently
does only contain a short paragraph to mention the derived workflow:

    https://med-team.pages.debian.net/policy/#git-without-tarball
    (link adapted to new location of policy)

Please be so kind and create pristine-tar that way - extra points if you
could drop this kind of README.source for other readers how to update the
package.

> gbp  can be used to produce .orig.tar.gz and I have added
> https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/mrtrix3/blob/debian/debian/gbp.conf
> which instructs to package submodules as well, so anyone could generate
> a new .orig.tgz for the new upload, and fetch from packages.d.o for an
> existing version.

I think people know in principle how to fetch a tarball from packages.d.o
but that's an extra effort compared to the one liner that is necessary to
follow policy.  Just assume somebody wants to recreate your package as
long as it resides in new to know why pristine-tar has advantages.

> Is there a better way?

I think so. ;-)