Re: Bio-Linux

On 28/07/18 00:45, Andreas Tille wrote:
> [...]
> OK, I understood that full med-bio and med-bio-dev are to heavy for a
> live system.  Just for my personal understanding:  Is Bio-Linux
> targeting at live media *exclusively*?

Hi, Andreas.

Not exclusively, the "Bio-Linux" project has two objectives:

1. Povide a 'live' DVD/USB environment that can be used to learn about
bioinformatics on a modest PC/laptop with the NEBC training materials.

2. Install "Bio-Linux" permanently to the same PC, or a more powerful
server. I've installed all of my "Bio-Linux" terminal servers from the
same 'live' USB and added software not on the 'live' .iso from the
repositories that are pre-configured in "Bio-Linux".

> So we obviously need to maintain separate tasks for bio-linux.  Please
> note that the blends-dev scripts are adding a prefix to every single
> task so if you create a task bio-linux-desktop the resulting metapackage
> will be named med-bio-linux-desktop.  For my feeling this is a bit hard
> to read and so I'd rather go with a task desktop-bio-linux but you are
> free to decide.

I guess you would like to drop the redundant "-bio-linux" and call it
"med-bio-desktop", which is not an unreasonable suggestion because  we
are actually discussing a sub-set of "med-bio" that contains most of the
packages present in "Bio-Linux" and the possibility of adding missing
packages to "med-bio". Logically, we could also create "med-bio-server"
so that some of the 'server' side of "Bio-Linux" can be removed from the
'live' desktop: A typical install would then be server + desktop.

> I'd also see an option to maintain a separate set of metapackages.  The
> Debian Med team could create another source package called bio-linux.
> There you create a task desktop (may be more) and than the resulting
> metapackage will be named bio-linux-desktop.  You are free to define
> more tasks that will all get the bio-linux prefix in the metapackage
> names.  I have not thought longish about this but for the moment I do
> not see much extra effort in this.  So feel free to decide what might be
> your prefered option.

I really appreciate the help and support of the Debian-Med team and I
think it would be very good idea to create a new source package called
"bio-linux" if you are all willing to help? Steffen also mentioned in
Barcelona, that a 'live' distro using packages from the Debian-Med team
would help to raise the profile of the Debian-Med

>>> So lets discuss this all on the mailing list not wasting input of others
>>> (including Tony's) which have a valuable opinion (specifically since I'm
>>> not a user and thus I'm probably bad in guessing what users really need.
>>
>> I'll be driving to Milan next week, so I might not reply to emails for a
>> few days - Please do move our conversation over to the Debian-Med list.
>
> Done and have a safe trip

Thanks, I arrived safely in Milan with eleven servers, a 19" rack in a
flat-pack and a huge pile of other kit last night :-)

I'll be working here in Milan until Fri 10 Aug, then I'll be driving
back home on holiday through France with very infrequent access to the
Internet until 11 Sep.

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk