Re: using upstream tag instead of tarball

Hi Emmanuel,

On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 06:33:13PM +0200, Emmanuel Promayon wrote:
> In upstream we are also using a local gitlab instance to host our project
> (hosted on gricad-gitlab.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr).

As far as I know gitlab provides a method to generate a downloadable tarball
from tags.  You can steal the according watch line from the wiki page

   https://wiki.debian.org/debian/watch#Gitlab

and adapt it to your Gitlab instance.

> We want to change the way the CamiTK debian package is linked with upstream.
> Before we always published an upstream source tarball. Now we would like to
> avoid the creation of this upstream source tarball and create the tarball
> required by apt directly from the upstream tag.
>
> I am therefore trying to move to this new process.
> I tried to get information (especially from [1]), but I am not sure I
> understand things very well.
>
> This is where I am so far:
>
> 1) I have the following ~/.gbp.conf
>
> [DEFAULT]
> # Use pristine-tar
> pristine-tar = True
> pristine-tar-commit = True
> postbuild = lintian -iIE --pedantic $GBP_CHANGES_FILE && echo "Lintian OK"
> # Upstream tag is a number e.g. 4.1.0
> upstream-tag = %(version)s
> # working branch
> debian-branch = debian/sid
>
> 2 ) I did the following :
>
> git branch -m upstream old-upstream
> git remote add upstream
> https://gricad-gitlab.univ-grenoble-alpes.fr/CamiTK/CamiTK.git
> git remote -v
> git fetch upstream
> git checkout -b debian/sid 4.1.0
> # here add the debian/ directory by hand
> git add debian
> git commit -m "add debian packaging dir"
> git push --set-upstream origin debian/sid
> gbp dch --debian-branch=debian/sid --snapshot --auto debian/
>
> But I am not sure it is the right thing to do as for instance the changelog
> now has an entry 4.0.4-3~1.gbpaa26a9 and did not take the tag "4.1.0" into
> account.
>
> Did any one tried to move from using the upstream tarball to using an
> upstream tag instead?

I never did this.  In case you get no better response than my hint
above (and this is no solution for you) you might like to ask on
debian-mentors@lists.debian.org for better advise.

> Thanks in advance for any help or comment about what I did so far (which
> might be completely the wrong thing to do!)

In general I try to limit the methods I'm using to a minimum if there is
no very good reason to derive.  So if you have a chance to fetch a
tarball from your gitlab instance I'd recommend to do so.

Hope this helps

        Andreas.