Re: .py endings or no .py endings for scientific packages

Le Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 03:52:08PM +0100, Tony Travis a écrit :

> I use Debian-Med packages every day for my scientific work and I really
> appreciate the hard work that the Debian-Med team have done to make this
> software available via the Debian Sid repositories that Ubuntu is based
> on, but I dislike the dogma about issues like removing .py suffixes and
> the 'technical committee' dictating to me or you how we should work...

Hi Tony,

In retrospect, my wording was quite unfortunate and unfair to the
technical committee, which has evolved a lot in the recent years.  I am
sorry for this.

Unless there are strong objections, I propose that we (the Debian Med
project) collectively ask the Policy maintainers to at least soften the
recommendation to rename upstream scripts, and to ask to the technical
committee to resolve the dispute if the discussion becomes unproductive.

Actually, this has been discussed some years ago already, so we do not
need to over-redo the discussion again.  One of the reasons why I did
not go for the TC at that time is that I had the impression that too
many of its members would vote against us.  However, most seats have
been rotated now...

On our side, the main arguments for not renaming the scripts is that it
makes us incompatible with upstream.  Am I missing any other major point?

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,