.py endings or no .py endings for scientific packages

Hello,

I just updated cnvkit locally and found Michael's patch "Remove .py
extensions as per Debian policy". I personally came to the conclusion
that differences to upstream in the naming of binaries is detrimental
for the acceptance of our distribution in the scientific community.
Just, nobody wants to risk to have their larger scripts/workflows fail
at some point because Debian does its own thing.

For cnvkit it seems particular unfortunate since conda already
distributes it. And they with some good confidence do not care about .py
suffices. So incompatibilities with the community at larger would be
guaranteed. If we truly care about the removal of .py suffices then we
should attempt to convince upstream about it.

Other opinions?

Best,

Steffen