Re: References to BioConda as Registry in d/u/metadata?

Hi Steffen,

On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 07:02:34PM +0200, Steffen Möller wrote:
> The registry of Bioconda packages (https://bioconda.github.io/recipes)
> is not really a registry in the sense that the description of the
> package would dominate. As such we would be misusing that field in
> debian/upstream/metadata a bit. But then again, Bioconda seems like it
> is gonna stay and and I am using it myself on our University cluster. I
> tend to think that knowing about a package to also exist in Bioconda is
> of interest for our users.
>
> What are your feelings about something like
>
> Registry:
>  - Name: Bioconda
>    Entry: barrnap

I'd consider this kind of link a "wider sense of registry" - so no
real problem with this.

> which would then show to
> https://bioconda.github.io/recipes/barrnap/README.html in our task
> pages. Helpful? Distracting? Disturbing?

I'm not fully sure.  Its helpful to have some matching between Debian
and bioconda packages.  However, propagating a link to some kind of
competing method to install the software might be distracting.  I'm
undecided how to consume this kind of registry data.