[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Suggested removal of mgltools from Debian (Was: SVN to Git migration status)

Hi again - again,

On Fri, Dec 08, 2017 at 10:46:05AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi again,
> On Fri, Dec 01, 2017 at 02:24:18PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > > >    * RC-buggy (#855494 :-()
> > > This should have been addressed with that one upload of mine that apparently
> > > had been lost before when the bug was addressed by upstream about two years
> > > ago.
> > 
> > But the program does not yet start. :-(
> Since a mgltools part now received a bug report (#883845) which I feel
> responsible to some extend since I once cared for the removal of the
> non-free image,

I fixed this bug in mgltools-vision and when doing so I realisied that
it is not my fault that the image popped up in the source tarball again.
Its just the non-default way to create the upstream source (and thus my
point that its a bad idea how this source is obtained is proven by
another issue).

> I hereby want to request a clear commitment of the
> persons mentioned in the Uploaders field whether bug #855494 will be
> fixed **soon** (= until 24.12.) to know whether it is worth spending
> some effort into it,

I'm a bit sad that my expectation that there was no commitment shown for
the issue which keeps my motivation high to ask for removal of the

In any case I took over the migration from SVN to Git since I now
migrated *all* packaging stuff in SVN (also prospective packages) and so
even may be removal candidates packaging might serve some purpose in
case somebody will take over later again.

When doing the migration I realised that there was packaging code for

mgltools-cmolkit (1.5.7-1) UNRELEASED; urgency=medium

  * New upstream version (Closes: #767144,#783547,

 -- Steffen Moeller <moeller@debian.org>  Fri, 08 Jul 2016 17:54:14 +0200

in SVN and all other mgltools-* packages are featuring upstream version
1.5.7 but cmolkit is remaining at 1.5.7~rc1+cvs.20140424 which is most
probably unwanted.  If the get-orig-source method would not have failed
I would have injected the upgraded source but it did not worked :-(((

> or whether it is better to ask for removal since
> we have no manpower to solve RC bugs.

I'll wait with the request for removal until after our sprint. 

One more word to the "ftpmasters don't like a tarball of tarballs" [1]
workaround:  There should be other ways to deal with this "don't like"
than putting 20 times multiple work than necessary to switch to new
versions.  It took me an additional day in the SVN to Git migration.
Thus I removed myself from Uploaders which means I'll now consequently
leave the additional work to the remaining Uploaders who seem to prefer
this kind of workflow.

Kind regards


[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2017/12/msg00010.html


Reply to: