Re: Introduction

Hi Redmar,

thanks for you interest in Debian Med.

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 01:56:30PM +0200, Redmar wrote:
> My name is Redmar, and I work as a bioinformatician in food safety. I
> would like to contribute to Debian Med by packaging applications. This
> is something I already do for my job, and I would like to improve my
> packages and share them with the community.

That's pretty cool.  I wished we would have every week ... OK month a
mail like this and I think you did the perfectly correct step to contact
us.

> I have looked at https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/ but there is
> a lot of information there. What is the best place to start reading?

Considering you have some packaging skills the most straigthforward
document which makes you up and running is the Debian Med team policy
document[1].

> Recently I created a working package for LisSero using equivs-build,
> what would be the next step to make this package available for regular
> users?
>
> https://github.com/Redmar-van-den-Berg/LisSero/blob/master/debian

Hmmm, equivs-build is definitely not what we want to use for official
packaging but its nice that you found a starting point.  I'd suggest you
might join a so called Mentoring of the Month project[2] and we bring
LisSero into a Debian releasable shape.  What do you think about this?
While there is currently a MoM student for May I have the feeling that
LisSero might be a project that is bearable in addition and I consider
it very important that you would learn the correct way to bring
packages into Debian if packaging belongs to your daily work anyway.

BTW, I've noticed that IsPcr is an optional part of LisSero.  There is a
long standing discussion about the licensing of Jim Kents software and
that we need some final clarification about this.  Its similar with
seqsero which I recently packaged for Debian[3] and I think it might be
a very educational lesson for you to learn discussing with upstream
about licenses.

Thanks for raising your voice here and I'm happy to help you starting
with official Debian packaging.  Kind regards

      Andreas.

[1] https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html
[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM
[3] https://blends.debian.org/med/tasks/bio#seqsero