Re: outreachy project: Debian Med

Hi Rafiya,

thanks for your interest in Debian Med.

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 07:21:41PM +0000, Rafiya Javed wrote:
> Hope this email finds you well. I'm an applicant to the Outreachy summer
> internship program, and came across a couple of project ideas for Debian
> that listed you as a mentor.

I take the freedom to forward my answer quoting your mail to the Debian
Med mailing list since all our communication will happen there anyway.

> I'm pretty interested in contributing to the Debian Med project. I was
> wondering if you're still looking for applicants for that and if so, I just
> wanted to let you know that I'll get try to tackle this bug:

Fine.  Please observe this thread[1] which bug might be taken by some
other Outreachy applicant.

> Also - about me: I'm actually an MD that defected from the world of
> medicine, and I'm doing a CS masters. I'm not exactly a PhD in
> bioinformatics (in case that's what's required for this) but I have a
> strong technical background (BS physics, did computational neuro research
> during med school) and I think I have a good feel for the nature of
> healthcare/biological data.

Sounds good.

> I've never contributed to Debian (or understood the package manager)
> before, so I expect that the initial setup will take me the most time. If
> you have any tips, I am all ears :)

For this purpose we have the Debian Med policy document[2] and the
Mentoring of the Month project[3].  Please have a look there and do not
hesitate to ask here.  (The please ask here advise is valid for any other
reader here.)

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-med/2017/03/msg00035.html
[2] https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html
[3] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/MoM