Re: Orthanc for digital pathology

Hi Karsten,

On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 08:20:04PM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> May I, again, point out that the existing tasks are rather
> arbitrary ?

Yes, your input is very welcome.

> There's 3 main areas in "medical" software:
>
> pure research
> 	("biological" software, really)
>
> medical practice
> 	(say, HIS / RIS / PMS)
>
> clinical studies
> 	(that is, the bridge between the above)
>
> For example, ONCOLOGY belongs into all of them, so does
> IMAGING. Or put another way, people seeing ONCOLOGY will
> expect to find quite different things depending on which of
> the above three angles they are coming from...
>
> Not sure how which way this situation should be improved, now
> whether it needs improvement at all...

I'm neither sure about this.  I can assure you that I'm definitely not
happy with the current tasks and they have some historical roots from
some long ago vanished web site (I do not even remember its name any
more).  There are only two things I'm sure about:

   1. We should not touch the main structure until Squeeze is released.
   2. We need experts in those fields who could do a sensible
      classification volunteering to do the classification work.

> Put yet another way, it doesn't make much sense for a
> radiologist at a medical practice to install the task IMAGING
> and end up with a RIS alongside image processing tools
> related to aligning multifocal layered microscope images or
> cell slides image segmentation algorithms or fluoroscopy cell
> detection tools. I suppose you see what I mean.

I perfectly see.  The only argument for putting rather more into one
task then less is that you can perfectly ignore installed software on
your machine while missing something for no good reason is worse.  I
know that also this reasoning does not apply everywhere.

> Ideally, one could select
>
> 	[x] medical practice
> 	[ ] research
> 	[ ] clinical studies
> 	[x] imaging
> 	[x] oncology
>
> or some such.
>
> Or else more task-oriented tasks might be used
>
> 	practice management
> 	gene sequencing
> 	RIS workstation
> 	RIS server
> 	wet lab
>
> For what it's worth...

Since Afif intended to work on the biology task post Stretch release
everybody who feels obliged and competent to enhance the other tasks
is more than welcome to work on this.